Tuesday, 25 April 2017

Russian (Project 7) destroyer Grozyashchii 1936-1950s


Storizhevoi-class variants

Laid down at the Zhdanov yard, St. Petersburg, Russia with yard number 513 on 18 August 1936, launched on 4 January 1937, completed at Shipyard 189 with yard number 301, commissioned on 17 September 1939 and broken up in the 1950s. Part of the Baltic Fleet. Built under the 2nd Five-Year Plan.

Project 7. Gnevny-class sometimes also referred to as the Gremyashchiy-class. P.O. Trakhtenberg of the Central Design Bureau headed by A.V. Nikitin used for this class the Italian destroyer Alfredo Oriani design and with comparable shortcomings like structural weakness and lacking sufficient seaworthiness in all weather conditions. To solve those shortcomings was chosen to stop further building of the Type 7 and to continue with the modified Type7U design or Storizhevoi-class (some times also called Soobrazitelnyy-class). Of the 36 planned units was the building of 6 cancelled.

General technical class details. With a displacement of 1.612 (standard)-2.039 (full load) and as dimensions 112,8 x 10,2 x 4,8 metres or 370.1 x 33.6 x 15.9 feet. The machinery consisted of 2-shaft GTZA-24 geared steam turbines and 3 water tube boilers supplying 50.500 shp during trials resulting in a speed of 39,37 knots (trials) and with a speed of 19,82 knots in a range of 2.640 nautical miles. Crew numbered 197 (peace)-236 (war). The armament consisted of 4x1-13cm/5.1” B-13 guns, 2x1-7,62cm/3” 34-K anti aircraft guns, 2x1-12,7mm/0.50” DK or DShK machineguns, 3x3-53,3cm/21.0” torpedo tubes, 60-95 mines and 25 depth charges.