Part of the Defence-class consisting of the Defence and, Resistance, preceded by the Warrior-class and succeeded by the Hector-class. Building ordered on 14 December 1859, laid down by Palmers Shipbuilding and Iron Company, Jarrow, England on 24 April 1861, completed on 12 February 1862, commissioned on 4 December 1861, converted into a floating workshop at Devonport, England in 1890, renamed Indus in 1898 and sold at Devonport to be broken up in August 1935.
Displacement 6.170 tons and as dimensions 85,3 (between perpendiculars)-88,9 (over all) x 16,51 x 8,0 metres or 280-291.4 x 54.2 x 26.2 feet. With the use of watertight transverse bulkheads was the hull divided in 92 compartments and further more was underneath the machinery and boiler rooms a double bottom available. Fitted out with a plough shaped ram. Machinery consisted of a 1-2 cylinder 2.329ihp trunk steam engine with 4 rectangular boilers allowing a speed of 10,5 (under sail)-11,23 knots (under steam sea trials on 25 August 1873). With a coal bunker capacity of 460 tons and a speed of 10 knots was her range 1.670 nautical miles. Ship rigged and with a sail area of 2.276 square metres/24.500 square feet. Barque rigged between September 1864-April 1866. The screw could be lifted out of the water while sailing. Armour of wrought iron consisted of a 11,4cm/4.5” thick belt protecting the hull amidships over a length of 42,7 metres/140 feet stretching from upper deck level to 1,6metres/6 feet below the waterline and bulkheads with a back layer of 46cm/18“ teak. Ship’s ends totally unprotected with a result that the steering gear was also unprotected. Original armament consisted of 20-32pd smoothbore guns, 6-17,78cm/7” 110 pd Armstrong breech loading guns and 10-68pd smoothbore guns. In 1868 rearmed and them 14-17,78cm/7” 6.25 ton rifled muzzle loading guns and 2-20,32cm/8” rifled muzzle loading guns.