Translate

Wednesday 23 November 2011

Granvilles' description of the Russian Naval Hospital at St. Petersburg during his visit in the years 1827-1828

Granville made an extended account of the economic, political and cultural life during his visit to St. Petersburg. One of the things he described was the Russian Naval Hospital at St. Petersburg. Sadly enough he wasn't able to visit actually, so it's more a small note.

P. 274: "Opposite to the modern part of the Pedrestrié Hospital, is the Navy Hospital, the exterior of which struck me as being very handsome and symmetrical. But I had spent six hours uninterruptedly in examining the former [General Military hospital], and I felt my courage fail me when a proposition was made to me to visit the latter by M. Savenko, who had formerly belonged to it. This circumstance I now regret; for other engagements having supervened, I finally quitted the capital without having seen that Establishment".

Source
A.B. Granville. St. Petersburgh. A journal of travels to and from that capital; through Flanders, the Rhenish provinces, Prussia, Russia, Poland, Silesia, Saxony, the Federated States of Germany, and France. London, 1829. Digitized by Google.