Friday, 10 February 2017

Town council of Brest refused to invite French minister of navy Baudin for launching battleship Bretagne according to the Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf dated 14 April 1913

An item reported that the French naval prefect of Brest recently officially was informed that the French minister of navy Baudin (1) would be present at the launching of the new French battleship Bretagne.(2) Baudin coming with the Châteaurenault (3) from Lorient would arrived on the 21st. The merchants of Brest which wanted to organise feasts in honour of the minister asked the socialistic town council to invite Baudin officially. This was however directly refused by major Massen and alderman Goude due to their socialistic believing. If the Chamber of Commerce or the similar organisation wanted to organise a feast was their business, the town council would be persistently refuse.

1. Pierre Baudin (21 August 1863 Nantua, France-30 July 1917 Paris, France), radical-socialist politician between 21 January-9 December 1913 minister of navy.
2. Of the Bretagne-class consisting of the Bretagne, Lorraine and Provence. Laid down at the Arsenal de Brest, France on 1 July 1912, launched on 21 April 1913, completed in September 1915, commissioned on 10 February 1916, refitted at Toulon, France between 12 June 1919-18 October 1920, again refitted at Toulon, France between 1 May 1924-29 September 19125, modernized between 1931-1932 and sunk by gunfire from the British warships HMS Hood, Valiant and Resolution while lying at Mers-el-Kébir, French Algeria to prevent capture by German forces on 3 July 1940. When she exploded were 977 of her 1.147 crewmembers killed. Salvaged in parts and broken up between 1952-1954.
3. Protected cruiser. Laid down by Chantier naval Forges et Chantiers de la Méditerranée, La Seyne-sur-Mer Drapeau de la France, France on 12 October 1895, launched on 12 May 1898, commissioned on 10 October 1902 and sunk by the German submarine UC-38 in the Mediterranean underway from Taranto, Italy towards Itea, Greece on 14 December 1917.