Tuesday, 25 April 2017

Russian (Project 7) destroyer Gromkii 1936-1960


Storizhevoi-class variants

Laid down at the Baltic Yard, St. Petersburg, Russia with yard number 503 on 29 April 1936, launched on 6 December 1936, commissioned on 31 December 1938, transferred via the Baltic-White Sea canal between 1939-1940 and added to the Northern Fleet, broken up in 1960. Part of the Baltic Fleet. Built under the 2nd Five-Year Plan.

Project 7. Gnevny-class sometimes also referred to as the Gremyashchiy-class. P.O. Trakhtenberg of the Central Design Bureau headed by A.V. Nikitin used for this class the Italian destroyer Alfredo Oriani design and with comparable shortcomings like structural weakness and lacking sufficient seaworthiness in all weather conditions. To solve those shortcomings was chosen to stop further building of the Type 7 and to continue with the modified Type7U design or Storizhevoi-class (some times also called Soobrazitelnyy-class). Of the 36 planned units was the building of 6 cancelled.

General technical class details. With a displacement of 1.612 (standard)-2.039 (full load) and as dimensions 112,8 x 10,2 x 4,8 metres or 370.1 x 33.6 x 15.9 feet. The machinery consisted of 2-shaft GTZA-24 geared steam turbines and 3 water tube boilers supplying 50.500 shp during trials resulting in a speed of 39,37 knots (trials) and with a speed of 19,82 knots in a range of 2.640 nautical miles. Crew numbered 197 (peace)-236 (war). The armament consisted of 4x1-13cm/5.1” B-13 guns, 2x1-7,62cm/3” 34-K anti aircraft guns, 2x1-12,7mm/0.50” DK or DShK machineguns, 3x3-53,3cm/21.0” torpedo tubes, 60-95 mines and 25 depth charges.