Laid down at Harland&Wolff, Belfast, Ireland with yard number 109 on 12 August 1941, launched on 17 June 1943, commissioned on 9 February 1944, completed on 7 March 1944, decommissioned on 30 December 1945, laid up in reserve, decommissioned on 1952, decommissioned in December 1952 and broken up at Blyth, England in 1955.
Of the British Nairana-class escort carriers consisting of the Nairana, Campania and Vindex, preceded by the HMS Activity and succeeded by the Long Islands-class escort carriers. After the successful conversion of the yet uncompleted former reefer Telemachus into the escort carrier HMS Activity (1942) decided the British Admiralty to repeat this initiative. Three merchant ships still on stocks were purchased and converted into escort carriers especially to protect convoys against submarines and aircraft. The Nairana built by John Brown&Company in Scotland was the first one built and her plans were used for her slightly differing two sister ships.
Displacement 12.450 (standard)-15.970 (loaded) tons and as dimensions 160 x 21 x 6,9 metres or 540 x 70 x 22.8 feet. Machinery consisted of diesel engines supplying via 2 shafts 13.250 bhp allowing a speed of 18 knots. With a speed of 17 knots was her range 17.000 nautical miles. The 18 planes they could take with them consisted of anti submarine or fighter aircraft. Fitted out with a hangar of 60x18,75 metres/198x61.6 feet. An lift of 14x10 metres/45x34 feet. 6 arrestor wires and a flight deck of 151 metres/495 feet length. The armament consisted of 1x2-10,16cm/4” dual purpose anti aircraft guns, 8x2-2cm/0.8” anti aircraft guns and 4x4-4cm/1.57”/2pd pom pom anti aircraft guns. Crew numbered 639 men.