Tuesday, 9 May 2017

Russian light cruiser Admiral Spiridov 1913-1920s, tanker Grozneft 1920s-1935 and Groznyyy 1935-1946

Italian Bari former German Pillau and Russian Maraviev Amursky y


Laid down at the Putilov Shipyard, St. Petersburg, Russia on 29 November 1913, launched on 9 September 1916, commissioned on 24 December 1926 being completed as the oil tanker SS Grozneft. Added to the Black Sea Fleet. Renamed Groznyy in 1935, captured by the German forces on 8 October 1941, scuttled at Mariupol on 20 September 1943, salvaged after the Second World War and sent back to the Baltic area in 1946.

Design process for this class started in 1907 resulting in begin 1912 in a design for a cruiser with a displacement of 4.100-5.100 tons with a speed of 30 knots and an armament of 12-13cm/5,1” cal 55 Pattern 1913 guns. Wile the navy demanded more was concluded that the ships should be too small resulting in November 1912 in a displacement of 6.700 tons. When the shipyards agreed to lower the building costs was as compensation the speed limited to 29,5 knots. Part of the Svetlana-class consisting of the Svetlana, Admiral Greig, Admiral Butakov and Admiral Spiridov, preceded by the Muraviev Amurski-class (1) and succeeded by the Admiral Nakhimov-class.(2)

General technical class details.
Dimensions 158,4 (over all) x 15,3 x 5,56 metres or 519.8 x 50.2 x 18.3 feet and a standard displacement of 6.860 tons. The machinery consisted of 4 geared Curtis-AEG-Vulkan steam turbines and 13 Yarrow boilers supplying via 4 shafts 50.000 shp allowing a speed of 29,5 knots. Fuel oil bunker capacity 1.186 tons. Crew numbered. The armament consisted of 15x1-13cm/5.1” Pattern 1913 guns, 4x1-6,33cm/2.5” anti aircraft guns and 2x1-45cm/17.7” torpedo tubes. Able to take 10 mines with them. The armour consisted of a 2,5-7,6cm/0.98-2.99” thick belt over the complete hull length stretching from the lower deck to 0,91 metres/3” below the water line. Between the lower and main decks was 2,5cm/0.08” armour protection. All decks had a thickness of 2cm/0.79”. Funnel uptakes and the gun shields had an armour protection of 2,5cm thick armour, the conning tower by 7,6cm/3”.

1. The Maraviev Amurskyy and the Admiral Neveslkoy were built in Germany but confiscated when the war broke out and commissioned in the German navy as the Pillau-class cruisers SMS Pillau (since 1920 the Italian Bari) and the Elbing (scuttled at the Battle of Jutland 1 June 1916).
2. Consisting of the Admiral Nakhimov, Admiral Kornilov, Admiral Istomin and Admiral Lazarev.