Saturday, 12 May 2018

Russian warships in the harbour of Kronshtadt on 13 August 1954 according to a CIA report dated 24 January 1955

An item reported that in the harbour of Kronshtadt on 13 August 1954 six submarines of different type and dimensions were sighted moored in the western section of the large harbour basin. In the central section of the harbour were several vessels seen including a large submarine salvage vessel, a destroyer, a four-masted barque which latter could be the former Padua (1) and a fleet auxiliary vessel. At the end of the basin could a large number of medium sized and small naval vessels be seen. Furthermore were two vessels present which could be coast guard monitors regarded their heavy superstructures. At the inner side of the harbour was a medium-sized floating dry dock visible with as caption Danziger Werft. Another more larger dock of an estimated 10.000 tons was moored off the eastern shoreline of the Kronshtadt Island. This at the moment not used dock was fitted out with 2 large cranes of her walls.

1. Russian 4 mast training barque (ex-Padua 1926-1946) Kruzenshtern 1946. Russia-flagged, homeport Kaliningrad, IMO 6822979, MMSI 273243700 and call sign UCVK. Steel built. Nowadays operated by the by the Baltic Fishing Fleet State Academy. Laid down at the Joh. C. Tecklenborg-Werft, Germany as the Padua on 11 June 1926 for account of the Hamburger Reederei F. Laeisz). Became Russian property on 12 January 1946. Modernized between 1968 and 1972. She still holds the record for the fastest voyage sailing between Hamburg and Australia via Chile completing in 8 months and 23 days. Homeport between 1926-1946 Hamburg, Germany, between 1946-1981 Riga, Latvia, Tallinn, Estonia 1981-1991 and since then Kaliningrad, Russia.

The report was published on, document number CIA-RDP80-00810A005700170006-8