An item reported that in the harbour of Kronshtadt on 27 August 1954 several submarines were sighted lying in the submarine basin located in the western part of the harbour. In the central basin were at that moment lying the former battleship Marat(1), a large 4-masted grey painted barque [the former Padua(2)] and a large floating dry dock with an estimated lifting capacity of 10.000 tons and the caption Danziger Werft. In the graving dock in the background were the masts and smokestacks of a cruiser visible. In the eastern part of the harbour were a large number of medium and small sized naval vessels moored and along the east coastline of the island a large grey painted floating dry dock.
1. Laid down as the Gangut by Admiralty Works, St. Petersburg, Russia on 16 June 1909, launched on 20 October 1911, commissioned on 11 January 1915, acquired by the Bolsheviks in November 1917, renamed Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya on 27 June 1925, modernized 1931-1934, reclassified as training ship on 24 July 1954 and finally stricken on 17 February 1956. Of the Gangut-class, consisting of the Gangut (renamed 1925 Oktyabrskaja Revolutsiya , Petropavlovsk (renamed Marat 1921), Sevastopol (renamed Parizhskaya Kommuna in 1921) and Poltava (renamed Frunze 1926), preceded by the Andrei Pervozvanny-class and succeeded by the Imperatritsa Mariya-class.
2. Russian 4 mast training barque (ex-Padua 1926-1946) Kruzenshtern 1946. Russia-flagged, homeport Kaliningrad, IMO 6822979, MMSI 273243700 and call sign UCVK. Steel built. Nowadays operated by the by the Baltic Fishing Fleet State Academy. Laid down at the Joh. C. Tecklenborg-Werft, Germany as the Padua on 11 June 1926 for account of the Hamburger Reederei F. Laeisz). Became Russian property on 12 January 1946. Modernized between 1968 and 1972. She still holds the record for the fastest voyage sailing between Hamburg and Australia via Chile completing in 8 months and 23 days. Homeport between 1926-1946 Hamburg, Germany, between 1946-1981 Riga, Latvia, Tallinn, Estonia 1981-1991 and since then Kaliningrad, Russia.
The report was published on www.archive.org, document number CIA-RDP80-00810A005700170006-8