Sunday, 19 March 2017

American light cruiser USS Richmond (CL-9) 1920-1946


USS Omaha

Building approved/ordered on 29 August 1916/4 March 1917, contract signed on 30 July 1917, supplementary contract signed on 11 July 1919, laid down by William Cramp&Sons, Philadelphia, USA on 16 February 1920, launched by Miss Elizabeth S. Scott on 29 September 1921, commissioned on 2 July 1923, decommissioned on 21 December 1945, stricken on 21 January 1946, sold to be broken up on 18 December 1946 which was executed at Baltimore, USA in 1917. Call sign NISQ.

Part of the Omaha-class light cruisers consisting of the Omaha (CL-4). Milwaukee (CL-5). Cincinnati (CL-6), Raleigh (CL-7). Detroit (CL-8), Richmond (CL-9). Concord (CL-10), Trenton (CL-11), Marblehead (CL-11) and Memphis (CL-13), preceded by the Chester-class and succeeded by the Brooklyn-class. The Omaha-class was the American answer on the British Centaur-class which was in fact a subclass of the C-class cruisers. Despite the fact that both countries were not in war, both were rivals in controlling the Atlantic Ocean. Designed as a scout cruiser used in the interbellum as flagships for anti destroyer fleet flotillas. The Omaha-class was despite their seagoing qualities not an overall success. There was a modified design made with a rearranged gun armament which was to consisted of 4x2-15,2cm/6” guns (2 turrets fore and 2 aft). Further more was one design in which the cruiser was in fact converted into a monitor with as main armament 2x1-35,56cm/14” guns and one design with a main armament of 2x2-20,3cm/8” guns. This last design was used by designing the Pensacola-class heavy cruisers.

General technical class specification.
With a displacement of 7.160 tons and as dimensions 169,62 x 16,87 x 6,10 metres or 556’6” x 55’4”x 20’0”. The 4 Parsons steam turbines and 12 Yarrow boilers supplied 90.000 shp allowing a speed of 35 knots. With a speed of 10 knots was the range 9.000 nautical miles. The crew numbered 360 men. The armour consisted of a 3,8cm/1.5” thick deck, a 7,6cm/3” thick belt, 3,8cm/1.5“-7,6cm/3“ thick bulkheads with the conning tower protected by 3,8cm/1.5‘. The armament consisted of 8x1&2x2-15,2cm/6” 53 cal guns, 4-7,6cm/3” /50 cal guns and 2x3&4x2-53,3cm/21” torpedo tubes. Originally also 224 mines. Two floatplanes for which amidships 2 catapults and a crane were available. In 1945 consisted the armament of 6x1&2x2-15,2cm/6” 53 cal guns, 8-7,6cm/3” 50 cal anti aircraft guns, 6x3-53,3cm/21” torpedo tubes, 3x2-4cm/6” Bofors guns and 12x1-2cm/0.79” Oerlikon cannons.