HMS Hyacinth of the Highflyer-classLaid down by Earle’s Shipbuilding, Hull, England in 1897, launched on 20 October 1898, armed at Sheerness, England in 1899, completed in early January 1900, part of the Medway Fleet Reserve, commissioned in 1900 and sold to be broken up on 28 May 1914.
Of the Pelorus-class designed by chief constructor of the British Royal Navy Sir William White (2 February 1845 Plymouth, England-27 February 1913 London, England)consisting of the Pactolus, Pandora, Pegasus, Pelorus, Perseus, Pioneer, Pomone, Prometheus, Proserpine, Psyche and Pyramus, preceded by the Arrogant-class and succeeded by the Highflyer-class.
General technical class specifications. Displacement of 2.169 tons and as dimensions 91,4 (between perpendiculars)-95,6 (over all) x 11,1 x 4,9 metres or 300’-313’6” x 36’6” x 16’. Machinery consisted of 2 shafts reciprocating vertical triple expansion steam engines and 16 water-tube boilers delivering 7.000 ihp allowing a speed of 20 knots. Crew numbered 224 men. Armour consisted of a 3,8/1.5”05,1cm/2” thick deck while the conning tower was protected by 7,6cm/3” thick armour. The armament consisted of 8x1-10,2cm/4” quick firing guns, 8x1-4,7cm/3pd quick firing guns, 3 machineguns and 2x1-45cm/18” torpedo tubes.