Of the Norfolk sub-class of the County-class consisting of the Norfolk and Dorsetshire, preceded by the Hawkins-class and succeeded by the York-class. It was a slightly improved London-design with the positions of her anti aircraft armament and a lower bridge due to the removed topmost deck. Designed by Sir William Berry and built under the 1926-1927 Estimates.
Launched at the Portsmouth Dockyard, England on 21 September 1927, launched on 29 January 1929, commissioned on 30 September 1930 and sunk while underway towards Colombo, Ceylon together with the HMS Cornwall during a Japanese air attack on 5 April 1942.
Displacement 10,196 (standard)-13,640 (full load) tons and as dimensions 192,86 x 20 x 5,5 metres or 632.9 x 66 x 18 feet. The machinery consisted of 4 Parsons Brown-Curtis geared steam turbines and 8 boilers supplying via 4 shafts 80.000 shp allowing a speed of 31,5 knots and with a speed of 12 knots a range of 12.000 nautical miles. Oil fuel bunker capacity 3.100 tons. Her crew numbered 719 (peacetime)-819 (wartime). The original armament consisted of 4x2-20,3cm/8” L/50 Mk VIII guns (super firing, 2 fore and 2 aft, 2, 4x1-10,2cm/4” L/45 Mk XVI quick firing anti aircraft guns, 4-3pd guns, 4-2pd pompom guns 2x4-53.3cm/21” torpedo tubes. In 1937 was the secondary armament changed into 4x2-4” dual purpose quick firing guns, and 8x2-2pd guns later even 24-2pd guns and the torpedo tubes were replaced by 61cm/24” ones. In the Second World War were 9-2cm/0.79” anti aircraft guns added. In 1932 was she fitted out with a catapult to launched the seaplane she carried with her since 1931.