The first Dutch submarine Hr. Ms. O-1 built by Kon. Mij. De Schelde
The newest Dutch torpedo boat Hr. Ms. Zeeslang built by Kon. Mij. De Schelde
On 20th April 1908 wrote Van Leeuwen (1) to the shipyard that without more specified details about the building of torpedo boats and submarines it was impossible to represent the shipyard with success.(2) Van Leeuwen expected to get a letter of the shipyard dealing with a delivery to Uruguay so he could use his influence via his friends on the Uruguayan government. Despite all efforts the Kon. Mij. De Schelde never succeeded in obtaining orders in South-America for building torpedo boats and/or submarines.
1. W. van Leeuwen&Co., Buenos Aires, Argentina, representatives of the Dutch shipyard Kon. Mij. De Schelde, Vlissingen, Netherlands.
2. The first submarine built by this shipyard was the Hr. Ms. O-1, laid down on 1 June 1904, in the thrushes in September 1904, plates in February 1905, launched on 8 July 1905 and handed over to the Royal Netherlands Navy on 20 December 1906. Displacement 10,5 (surfaced)-124,5 (submerged) tons and as dimensions 20,421 x 3,561 x 3,891 (hold) x 2,79 (draught) metres. Armament consisted of 1-45cm bow torpedo tube for which she carried 3-45cm torpedoes with her. Crew numbered 12 men. Speed 8,35 (surfaced)-7 (submerged) miles. Holland/Electric Boat Company design. The second submarine was the Hr. Ms. O-2, laid down 11 October 1909, launched on 30 January 1911, official trial on 3 October 1911 and handed over to the Royal Netherlands Navy on 10 November 1911. Building within 29 months. Displacement 133,974 (surfaced)-149,410 tons (submerged) and as dimensions 29,914 (between perpendiculars()32,35 (overall) x 3,048 x 3,453 (hold) x 2,726 (draught) metres or 98.1-96.2 x 1-.0 x 11.4 x 9.11,25 feet. Crew numbered 10 men. Armament consisted of 2-45cm bow torpedo tubes (above each other) for which she carried 4 torpedoes and 1 machinegun. Speed 11,1 (surfaced)-8,66 submerged) miles. Whitehead-Hay design. The last torpedo boat she was built was the Hr.Ms. Zeeslang on account of the Dutch Department of Colonies to serve in the Dutch East Indies. Displacement 89,32 tons and as dimensions 39,632 x 4,124 x 2,514 (hold) x 1,155-2,06 (draught) metres or 130.0 x 13.6,25 x 8.3 x 3.9,5-6.9 1/8 feet. Laid down on 15 November 1906, in the thrushes on 31 January 1907, launched on 27 April 1907 and handed over to the Royal Netherlands Navy on 6 July 1907. Speed 24,048 miles. Armament consisted of 2-3,7cm guns, 1 torpedo tube and 1 torpedo gun. Crew numbered 20 men.
Archive Kon. Mij. De Schelde 1875-1960 (Municipality Archive Vlissingen) T. 214.258.