Saturday, 15 April 2017

German light cruiser SMS Dresden 1906-1915

Sister ship SMS Emden

Part of the Dresden-class light cruisers consisting of the Dresden and Emden, both built under the 1905-1906 program, preceded by the Königsberg-class and succeeded by the Kolberg-class. 

Laid down by Blohm&Voss, Hamburg, Germany with yard number 195 in 1906, launched on 5 October 1907, commissioned on 14 November 1908, present at the Battle of Coronel on 1 November 1914 when the German East Asia Squadron destroyed a British squadron and at the Battle of the Falkland Islands when the contrary happened on 8 December 1914, she escaped until arrived Robinson Crusoe Island in March 1915, with a worn out machinery and desperately lacking coal spoke her commanding officer with the Chilean government to consider internment, before a decision was taken was she attacked by British warships as what became known the Battke of Mas a Tierra on 14 March 1915, scuttled by her own crew of which the most escaped and since then in Chilean internment with the wreck still lying in the sea bottom on a depth of 70 metres. 

Displacement 4.268 tons and as dimensions 118,3 (over all) x 13,5 x 5,53 metres or 388.1 x 44.3 x 18.2 feet. The machinery consisted of 2 Parson steam turbines and 12 coal fired water tube boilers supplying 14.794 ihp allowing a speed of 24 knots and with a speed of 12 knots and a coal bunker capacity of 860 tons coal was her range of 3,600 nautical miles. Her crew numbered 371 men (included 18 officers). The armour consisted of a 8cm/3.1” thick deck, 5cm/2.0” thick guns shields and with the conning tower protected by 10cm/3.9” thick armour. The armament consisted of 10x1-10,5cm/4”.1” L/40 quick firing guns, 8x1-5,2cm/2.0” L/55 quick firing guns and 2-45cm/17.7” torpedo tubes.