Translate

Wednesday, 19 April 2017

German navy replacing old battleships by new ones according to the Dutch magazine Marineblad dated 1914-1915 no. 4

Konig-class

Braunschweig-class

An item referred to Die Flotte reporting that this year 3 new battleships König (1), Markgraf (2) and Grosser Kurfürst (3) were to be added to the 3rd squadron which would than number 7 dreadnoughts. The Preussen (4) and Lotharingen (5) of the 2nd squadron were to be disarmed with a s result that this squadron would just number 6 battleships.

Notes
1. Part of the König-class consisting of the König, Grosser Kurfürst, Markgraf and Kronprinz. Preceded by the Kaiser-class and succeeded by the Bayern-class. Building ordered as the “S”, laid down at the Kaiserliche Werft, Wilhelmshaven, Germany with yard number 33 in October 1911, launched on 1 March 1913, commissioned on 9 August 1914, sea trials completed on 23 November 1914 and scuttled by her own crew at Gutter Sound, Scapa Flow, Orkney Isles, Scotland on 21 June 1919. Never raised. Building costs 45 million Goldmarks.
2. Part of the König-class consisting of the König, Grosser Kurfürst, Markgraf and Kronprinz. Preceded by the Kaiser-class and succeeded by the Bayern-class. Building ordered as the Ersatz Weissenburg, laid down at AG Weser Shipyard, Bremen, Germany with yard number 186 in November 1911, launched on 4 June 1913, commissioned on 1 October 1914 and scuttled by her own crew at Gutter Sound, Scapa Flow, Orkney Isles, Scotland on 21 June 1919. Building costs 45 million Goldmarks.
3. Part of the König-class consisting of the König, Grosser Kurfürst, Markgraf and Kronprinz. Preceded by the Kaiser-class and succeeded by the Bayern-class. Building ordered as the Ersatz Kurfürst Friedrich Wilhelm, laid down at the AG Vulkan shipyard, Hamburg, Germany with yard number 4 in October 1911, launched on 5 May 1913, dockyards trials on 15 July 1914, commissioned on 30 July 1914 and scuttled by her own crew at Gutter Sound, Scapa Flow, Orkney Isles, Scotland on 21 June 1919. Raised on 29 April 1938 and sold to be broken up at Rosyth. Building costs 45 million Goldmarks.
4. Of the Braunschweig-class, laid down by AG Vulkan, Stettin, Germany in April 1902, launched on 30 October 1903, commissioned on 12 July 1905 and partly, broken up in 1931
5. Of the Braunschweig-class, laid down by Schichau, Danzig, Germany in December 1902, launched on 27 May 1905, commissioned on 18 May 1906 and sold to be broken up in 1931.