Building ordered under the War Emergency Program in July 1917, laid down by Sir. W.G. Armstrong Whitworth and Company, High Waters, England on 29 October 1917, launched on 23 August 1918, completed on 7 June 1919, refitted as an anti-aircraft cruiser at the Brooklyn Navy Yard, USA between May-December 1941, heavily damaged during a German explosive motor boats attack at Split, Croatia on 12 February 1945, laid up, sold to be broken up on 22 January 1948 and in April 1948 arrived she for that fate at Cashmore, Newport, Wales. Fitted out with a flying-off platform a wheeled aircraft.
Part of the Danae-class light cruisers consisting of the completed Danae, Dragon, Dauntless, Delhi, Dunedin, Durban, Despatch and Diomede and the cancelled Daedalus, Daring, Desperate and Dryad, preceded by the C-class and succeeded by the Emerald-class. An improved C-class design including lengthening of the hull to make it possible to add an extra 15,2cm/6”gun situated between the bridge and the forefunnel.
General technical class specifications
Displacement 4.927 (standard)-5.925 (full load) tons and as dimensions 135,6 (between perpendiculars)-144,0 (over all) x 14,2 x 4,4 metres. The machinery consisted of 6 Yarrow water tube boilers and 2 Brown Curtiss geared steam turbines to supply 40.000 shp and with the 2 shafts allowing a speed of 27 (full load)-29 knots. Crew numbered 450-469 men. Original class armament consisted of 6x1-15,2cm/6” L/45 Mark XII guns, 2-7,62cm/3” Mk II anti aircraft guns, 2-4cm/2pd quick firing pom-pom anti aircraft guns and 4x3-53,3cm/21” torpedo tubes. In 1941 rearmed with 5-12,7cm/5” cal 38 guns, 2x4-4cm Bofors anti aircraft guns and 12-2cm Bofors anti aircraft guns. The armour consisted of a 3,8cm/1.5”-5,7cm/2.25” (forward)-7,6cm/3” (amidships)-5,1cm/2”-5,7cm/2.25” (aft) thick main belt, a 2,5cm/1” thick upper deck above the machinery, the steering gear was above protected by the 1” thick main deck and the guns by 1” thick gunshields