Monday, 15 May 2017

Dutch navy testing compound rifle bullets according to the Dutch magazine Marineblad dated 1886-1887 no. 4

An item reported that the Royal Netherlands Navy intended to test the so-called well known rifle bullets invented by Lorenz, engineer and owner of the Deutsche Metall Patronenfabrik Lorenz, Karlsruhe, Germany. The lead made bullets with a hard metal mantle seemed to be able to penetrate the hull of a torpedo boat on much larger distance as was possible with the soft lead bullets nowadays used by the Dutch navy. The test were executed on board of the Zr. Ms. artillery training ship Zr. Ms. Het Loo.(1)

1. Screw steamship 3rd class, call sign GQMR, wood-built, on stocks at the navy yard at Amsterdam, Netherlands 13 May 1858, launched 17 March 1859, commissioned 26 July 1859, docked at the navy yard at Hellevoetsluis 26 May-19 June 1865 &12 April-14 August 1867, 21 July-8 August 1871 and 1-3 September 1869, together with the Zr.Ms. Citadel van Antwerpen present when the Dutch colours at the Dutch Gold Coast was stricken, converted at the navy yard at Willemsoord, Netherlands into artillery training ship and commissioned at Willemsoord 16 September 1876, decommissioned and condemned for services outside the Nieuwediep, Netherlands 8 May 1889, accommodation for artillery training ship 25 September, condemned and replaced by the Zr.Ms. Atjeh 1906, decommissioned 8 November and stricken, displacement 759 tons, dimensions 43 x 9,2 x 4,3 metres, coal bunker capacity 100-200 ton, horsepower 115 nhp/250ehp, speed 7-12 (maximum) miles, range (in 187) 7 days full speed, a crew numbering 86 (1877)-100 men and an armament consisting of 2 rifled 16cm guns, 1-15cm gun and 4-12cm guns.