Monday, 8 May 2017

Russian (Project 7) destroyer Stremitel’nyi 1936-1941


Storizhevoi-class variants

Laid down at the Zhdanov yard, St. Petersburg, Russia (yard 189) with yard number 291 on 22 August 1936, launched on 3 February 1937, commissioned on 18 November 1938, added to the Northern Fleet on 1941, sunk during a German air attack in the Ekatirinskaya Bay, Murmansk, Russia on 20 July 1941, parts of her were salvaged in 1942 and reused for repairing the Raz´yaryonny. Part of the Baltic Fleet.

Project 7. Gnevny-class sometimes also referred to as the Gremyashchiy-class. P.O. Trakhtenberg of the Central Design Bureau headed by A.V. Nikitin used for this class the Italian destroyer Alfredo Oriani design and with comparable shortcomings like structural weakness and lacking sufficient seaworthiness in all weather conditions. To solve those shortcomings was chosen to stop further building of the Type 7 and to continue with the modified Type7U design or Storizhevoi-class (some times also called Soobrazitelnyy-class). Of the 36 planned units was the building of 6 cancelled.

General technical class details. With a displacement of 1.612 (standard)-2.039 (full load) and as dimensions 112,8 x 10,2 x 4,8 metres or 370.1 x 33.6 x 15.9 feet. The machinery consisted of 2-shaft GTZA-24 geared steam turbines and 3 water tube boilers supplying 50.500 shp during trials resulting in a speed of 39,37 knots (trials) and with a speed of 19,82 knots in a range of 2.640 nautical miles. Crew numbered 197 (peace)-236 (war). The armament consisted of 4x1-13cm/5.1” B-13 guns, 2x1-7,62cm/3” 34-K anti aircraft guns, 2x1-12,7mm/0.50” DK or DShK machineguns, 3x3-53,3cm/21.0” torpedo tubes, 60-95 mines and 25 depth charges.