Based on an original so-called block sketch dated May 1917 handed over by the commissary of police at Vlissingen to the Dutch naval staff
Submarines of this type served in the German (UB-1 class), Austro-Hungarian (U-10 class) and Bulgarian navies. Preceded by the UA and succeeded by the UB II class (SM UB-18-47). Building ordered on 15 October 1914, laid down by AG Weser, Bremen, Germany with yard number 221 on 7 November 1914, launched on 2 March 1915, commissioned on 29 march 1915 and lost after 19 August 1918 when she left Zeeburgge, Belgium for mine laying in the Downs of the Kentish coast.
General technical class characteristics. Displacement 127 (surfaced)-142 (submerged) tons and as dimensions 23,62 (pressure hull)-27,88/28,10 (over all) x 3,15 x 7,30 (depth) x 3,03 (draught) metres or 77.6-91.6/92.2 x 10.4 x 23.11 x 9.11 feet.. The machinery consisted of 1 diesel engine and 1 electric motor driving one screw allowing a speed of 6,47 (surfaced)-5.5 (submerged) knots and a surfaced range of 1.860 nautical miles with a speed of 5 knots and submerged 45 nautical miles with 4,5 knots. Test depth 50 metres/160 feet and able to dive within 33 seconds. Their crew numbered 14 men. The armament consisted of 2-45cm/17.7” torpedo tubes in the bow for which 2 torpedoes were carried and 1-0,8cm/0.31” machinegun.