Part of the Duguay-Trouin class light cruisers consisting of the Duguay-Trouin, Lamotte-Picquet and Primaguet, succeeded by the Jeanne d’Arc. Design progress started mid-1919 and in which Italy was considered to be the opponent especially in the control of the Mediterreanean. At the end of the same year was the Project 171 design completed but as the navy and the chief off the general staff had their objections was the design stricken in February 1920. Against the end that year were four designs available using the hull design of the American Omaha-class cruisers. Of these four designs was chosen for design C and two years was the building ordered although there were still objections against the design. For launching the 2 Gourdou-Leseurre GL-812 HY flying boats (later replaced by the GL-832) was on the quarter deck a catapult available. In the 1930’s were the Duguay-Trouin and the Primaguet fitted out with just one Loire 130 plane.
Laid down at the Arsenal de Brest on 4 August 1922, launched on 14 August 1923, commissioned on 2 November 1926 and decommissioned on 19 March 1952.
General technical specifications of this class. Displacement 7.365 (standard)-9.500 (full load) tons and as dimensions 181,30 (over all) x 17,50 x 5,2 metres or 594.8 x 57.4 x 17 feet. The machinery consisted of 4-shaft oil fired single-reduction geared Parsons turbines supplying 100.000 (design)-102.000 (actual) shp allowing a speed of 30 (design)-33 (actual) knots and with a speed of 15 knots a range of 3.000 nautical miles. Crew numbered 578 men (included 27 officers). The armament consisted of 4x2-15,5cm/6.1” /50 M1920 guns (range 26,1 kilometres), 4x1-7,5cm/3” M1922 anti aircraft guns and 4x3-55cm/22” torpedo tubes. In January 1944 was the anti aircraft intensively modernized and increased. The armour consisted of a 2cm/0.79” thick deck, a 3cm/1.2” thick magazine box with the gun turrets and conning tower also protected by 3cm/1.2”. As an extra protections was the hull divided with 16 transverse bulkheads in watertight compartments and around the machinery compartments even doubled.