Part of the Duguay-Trouin class light cruisers consisting of the Duguay-Trouin, Laomoot-Picguet and Primauget, succeeded by the Jeanne d’Arc. Design progress started mid-1919 and in which Italy was considered to be the opponent especially in the control of the Mediterreanean. At the end of the same year was the Project 171 design completed but as the navy and the chief off the general staff had their objections was the design stricken in February 1920. Against the end that year were four designs available using the hull design of the American Omaha-class cruisers. Of these four designs was chosen for design C and two years was the building ordered although there were still objections against the design. For launching the 2 Gourdou-Leseurre GL-812 HY flying boats (later replaced by the GL-832) was on the quarter deck a catapult available. In the 1930’s were the Duguay-Trouin and the Primauget fitted out with just one Loire 130 plane.
Laid down at the Arsenal de Lorient, France on 17 January 1923, launched on 21 March 1924, commissioned on 5 March 1927, stationed in the Far East (French Indochina) since 1933, participated in defeating a Thai squadron on 14 January 1941, training hulk in October 1941, disarmed in November 1941 and sunk by American aircraft in the so-called South China Sea Raid in the harbour of Saigon on 12 January 1945. Broken up after the Second World War.
General technical specifications of this class. Displacement 7.365 (standard)-9.500 (full load) tons and as dimensions 181,30 (over all) x 17,50 x 5,2 metres or 594.8 x 57.4 x 17 feet. The machinery consisted of 4-shaft oil fired single-reduction geared Parsons turbines supplying 100.000 (design)-102.000 (actual) shp allowing a speed of 30 (design)-33 (actual) knots and with a speed of 15 knots a range of 3.000 nautical miles. Crew numbered 578 men (included 27 officers). The armament consisted of 4x2-15,5cm/6.1” /50 M1920 guns (range 26,1 kilometres), 4x1-7,5cm/3” M1922 anti aircraft guns and 4x3-55cm/22” torpedo tubes. The armour consisted of a 2cm/0.79” thick deck, a 3cm/1.2” thick magazine box with the gun turrets and conning tower also protected by 3cm/1.2”. As an extra protections was the hull divided with 16 transverse bulkheads in watertight compartments and around the machinery compartments even doubled.