Sunday, 21 May 2017

British light cruiser HMS Danae 1916-1944 and Polish ORP Conrad 1944-1946 and again British HMS Danae 1946-1948



Building ordered under the War Emergency Program in September 1916, laid down by Sir. W.G. Armstrong Whitworth and Company, High Waters, England on 11 December 1916, launched on 26 January 1918, completed on 18 July 1918, as the ORP Conrad in the Polish navy between 4 October 1944-25 September 1946, sold to Thos W. Ward to be broken up on 22 January 1948 and broken up in the Vickers Armstrong shipyard, Barrow-in-Furness after 27 March 1948.

Part of the Danae-class light cruisers consisting of the completed Danae, Dragon, Dauntless, Delhi, Dunedin, Durban, Despatch and Diomede and the cancelled Daedalus, Daring, Desperate and Dryad, preceded by the C-class and succeeded by the Emerald-class. An improved C-class design including lengthening of the hull to make it possible to add an extra 15,2cm/6”gun situated between the bridge and the forefunnel.

General technical class specifications
Displacement 4.850 (standard)-5.925 (full load) tons and as dimensions 135,6 (between perpendiculars)-144,0 (over all) x 14,2 x 4,4 metres. The machinery consisted of 6 Yarrow water tube boilers and geared steam turbines to supply 40.000 shp and with the 2 shafts allowing a speed of 27 (full load)-29 knots. Range with a oil bunker capacity of 1.060 tons and a speed of 29 respectively 10 knots was 1.480 respectively 1.480 nautical miles. Crew numbered 462 men. Armament consisted of 6x1-15,2cm/6” L/45 Mark XII guns, 2-7,62cm/3” L/45 20cwt Mk I quick firing guns, 2-2pd L/36 Ml II quick firing guns and 4x3-53,3cm/21” torpedo tubes. In 1930 by 6x10-15,2cm/6” L/45 Mark XII guns, 3-10,2cm/4” Mk V quick firing anti aircraft guns, 2-4cm/2pd pom-pom anti aircraft guns and 4x3-53,3cm/21” torpedo tubes. In 1942 6x1-15,2cm/6” Mk XII guns, 2-10,2cm/4” Mk V anti aircraft guns, 6-4cm/2pf pom-pom anti aircraft guns and 4x3-53,3cm/21” torpedo tubes. In 1943 5-15,2cm/6” guns, 1-10,2cm/4” gun, 8-4cm/2pd pom-pom anti aircraft guns, 3x4-2pd Mk VIII guns, 12-2cm anti aircraft guns and depth charge launcher. The armour consisted of a 3,8cm/1.5”-5,7cm/2.25” (forward)-7,6cm/3” (amidships)-5,1cm/2”-5,7cm/2.25” (aft) thick main belt, a 2,5cm/1” thick upper deck above the machinery, the steering gear was above protected by the 1” thick main deck and the guns by 1” thick gunshields.