Building ordered under the War Emergency Program in September 1916, laid down by Palmer Shipbuilding and Iron Company, Jarrow, England on 3 January 1917, launched on 10 April 1918, completed on 2 December 1918, training ship after January 1943, added to the reserve in February 1945, sold to be broken up on 13 February 1946 which was executed at the shipyard of Thos W. Ward, Inverkeithing, Scotland in April 1946. When completed was she fitted out with a hangar to store a floatplane.
Part of the Danae-class light cruisers consisting of the completed Danae, Dragon, Dauntless, Delhi, Dunedin, Durban, Despatch and Diomede and the cancelled Daedalus, Daring, Desperate and Dryad, preceded by the C-class and succeeded by the Emerald-class. An improved C-class design including lengthening of the hull to make it possible to add an extra 15,2cm/6”gun situated between the bridge and the forefunnel.
General technical class specifications
Displacement 4.850 (standard)-5.925 (full load) tons and as dimensions 135,6 (between perpendiculars)-144,0 (over all) x 14,2 x 4,4 metres. The machinery consisted of 6 Yarrow water tube boilers and Parsons geared steam turbines to supply 40.000 shp and with the 2 shafts allowing a speed of 27 (full load)-29 knots. Range 2.300 nautical miles. Crew numbered 350 men. Original armament consisted of 6x1-15,2cm/6” L/45 Mark XII guns, 2-7,62cm/3” Mk II anti aircraft guns, 2-4cm/2pd quick firing pom-pom anti aircraft guns and 4x3-53,3cm/21” torpedo tubes. The armour consisted of a 3,8cm/1.5”-5,7cm/2.25” (forward)-7,6cm/3” (amidships)-5,1cm/2”-5,7cm/2.25” (aft) thick main belt, a 2,5cm/1” thick upper deck above the machinery, the steering gear was above protected by the 1” thick main deck and the guns by 1” thick gunshields.