Saturday, 13 May 2017

British destroyer and submarines depot ship HMS Tyne 1938-1972

Laid down as the Hecla-class destroyer depot ships by Scotts Shipbuilding, Greenock, Scotland on 15 July 1938, launched and commissioned on 28 February 1940, paid of at Portsmouth, England on 27 march 1961, added to the operational service, served as accommodation ship for the Senior Officer Reserve Fleet at Devonport, England in 1962, for disposal since July 1964 and sold to be broken up on 11 August 1972. Displacement 11.085 tons and as dimensions 620 x 71 x 18 feet. Speed 17 knots. Crew numbered 818 men.