Part of the Blake-class consisting of the Blake and Blenheim, preceded by the Orlando-class and succeeded by the Edgar-class. Designed under Director of Naval Construction William White. Laid down by Thames Ironworks&Shipbuilding Company, lea mouth, London in October 1888, launched on 5 July 1890, commissioned on 1 January 1891, destroyer depot ship since 1908, decommissioned in 1926 and sold to be broken up on 13 July 1926 which was executed the same year at Pembroke Dock.
Displacement 9.150 tons and as dimensions 114,30 (between perpendiculars)-121,84 (over all) x 19,81 x 7,32 metres or 375-399.9 x 65 x 24 feet. Machinery consisted of 4-3 cylinder triple expansion steam engines with 6 double-ended cylindrical boilers delivering via 2-shafts 13.000 ihp (natural draught)-20.000 ihp (forced draught) resulting in a speed of 20 (natural draught)-22 (forced draught). With a coal bunker capacity of 1.800 tons was the range 15.000 (designed)-10.000 (actual) miles. Crew numbered 570 men. Armour consisted of a 76mm/3”-15,2cm/6” thick deck, 11cm/4.5” thick gunshields with the conning tower protected by 30cm/12”. The armament consisted of 2x1-23,4cm/9.2” Mk VI breech loading guns, 10-16,2cm/6” quick firing guns, 16-4,7cm/3pd Hotchkiss quick firing guns and 4-35,6cm/14” torpedo tubes (2 submerged, 2 surfaced above the waterline).